DOWN THE HATCH
Short Film Competition
Submit your original short and you might win a $1,000 gift card to The Orvis Company, plus the opportunity to enter the International Fly-Fishing Film Festival 2020 competition and the chance to win cash prizes!
The Quality Hooch jury (made up of members of the fly-angler community) will view all films at an in-store event in August 2019 at Orvis Atlanta, where they will vote on up to 6 finalists. Each finalist will receive two tickets to the 6th Annual Down the Hatch Film Festival on September 29 at The Metropolitan Club.
Finalists’ films will be featured at the September 29 event, where Down the Hatch attendees will vote on the winner.
How to enter
- Submit an original 3-5 minute short that explores the theme: “Keep ‘em wet.”
- Films should feature fly-fishing in some aspect. Conservation and stewardship are two other topics to consider.
- Entries may not be and may not have been screened anywhere prior to September 29, 2019.
- Genre is not a barrier; you are free to come up with any idea that has to do with the theme/topic including live action or animated films.
- Your story should be compelling, so unleash your creativity and let loose your innovative skills.
- Filming must abide by the following restrictions:
- All films must show proper fish handling
- No grip-and-grins
- All fish must remain partially in the water
- Catch-and-release fishing only
- This will be an all-ages event, so any entries with foul language must be censored.
- All films must have a release shot of any fish caught and featured
- Submissions that fail to meet these standards will be disqualified.
- The competition opens June 3, 2019 and ends on July 26, 2019.
- Submissions MUST be received, at the latest, by July 26, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Note that this cannot be the postmarked date, but the actual received date. No exceptions.
- Any common delivery format and container can be used, but DVD or Mp4 is preferred.
- The submitter must ensure that the film is accessible to The Orvis Company by the deadline.
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed submission form.
- Once a film is submitted, it cannot be withdrawn from competition. No submission materials will be returned.
- Subtitling of non-English language films in English is mandatory.
- By submitting to the Down the Hatch Short Film Competition, the submitter expressly acknowledges that he or she owns all the rights in the film and grants nonexclusive, all media rights howsoever transmitted, in perpetuity, in the world, to The Orvis Company and Chattahoochee Riverkeeper to exploit the submitted film.